Across the United States, rural areas are losing population and job opportunities as economic expansion becomes increasingly concentrated in urban centers. Community colleges in rural areas need solutions that address their culture, context, and capacity.
- Designing a better student experience.
- Collaborating with key regional stakeholders to increase economic opportunity in the region.
- Developing community partnerships for a cross-sector approach to guided pathways.
- Mobilizing community partners to meet students’ basic needs.
- Developing partnerships with regional businesses.
- Diversifying faculty.
- Building financial solvency for rural institutions.
Through these projects, innovative rural community colleges are rethinking their structures; updating their programming; renewing their focus on equity; and better engaging students, employers, and communities. The Rural Community College Leader Series highlights their work in these and other areas.